Luxury Yacht Charter Marlborough Sounds
Yacht Charter in Marlborough Sounds
The Marlborough Sounds is one of New Zealand’s premier yachting destinations, situated at the very top of the South Island. Here you will discover more than 1,500 km of coastline truncated by deep coves and sheltered bays which are fringed with secluded beaches and picturesque towns. A sound is a large ocean inlet which is considered to be bigger than a bay, and at the northern top of New Zealand’s South Island, the two major sounds are Queen Charlotte and Pelorus, which together form the heart of the cruising area. There are also a number of outlying islands including D’Urville Island, which is separated from the mainland by a narrow, tidal channel called the French Pass.
Marinas in Marlborough Sounds
There are three marinas which service the marine industry in the Marlborough Sounds:
Tel: +64 3 520 3395
Tel: +64 3 520 3390
Tel: +64 3 520 2366
Weather in Marlborough Sounds
The Marlborough Sounds enjoy a temperate climate with good weather most of the year. The summer months, between November to April, are very warm and pleasant with temperatures of around 25C, whilst in the winter, they can fall to around 15C. Rainfall is at its highest during the winter months when it rains on average ten days per month.
Top Five Things to do in Marlborough Sounds:
- Visit a mussel farm and taste its produce on Kenepuru Sound.
- Climb to the top of Motuara Island and marvel at the view.
- Explore the caves of Queen Charlotte Sound in a kayak.
- Tour some of the world-famous vineyards in Marlborough.
- Play a round of golf at the magnificent Marlborough Golf Club, set in the middle of the wine region. www.marlborough.nzgolf.net
Top 5 Restaurants in Marlborough Sounds:
- Indulge at the Portage Resort Hotel’s Te Waka Restaurant for a truly memorable meal.
- Herzog Winery and Restaurant in Rapaura is famous for its degustation menu. www.herzog.co.nz
- For an evening of ultimate luxury reserve a table at Hotel d’Urville, Blenheim. www.durville.com
- The Kippilaw House Restaurants serves delicious fresh wild game from the Marlborough ranges. http://kippilawhouse.co.nz
- For some freshly grown green-lip mussels head to the Mussel Pot restaurant in Havelock. www.musselpot.co.nz