Luxury Yacht Charter Antigua
Yacht Charter in Antigua
Antigua is the geographical and yachting centre of the Caribbean, and often the first port of call for yachts crossing the Atlantic from Europe. It used to be the British Royal Navy’s main Caribbean base from where it controlled the trade routes between the old and the new worlds. Antigua has been hugely important in the growth of the yacht charter industry in the Caribbean. It was from here that the first charters set out from English Harbour in 1949 to discover the islands 365 beaches – one for every day of the year. In December 2011, Antigua will host its 50th international yacht show, one of the leading yachting events in the world.
Marinas in Antigua
Facilities in Antigua for yacht charter are first class. They include:
Nelson’s Dockyard Marina
Tel: +268 481 5022
The Catamaran Marina
Tel: +268 460 1503
Falmouth Harbour Marina
Tel: +268 460 6054
Jolly Harbour Marina
Tel: +268 462 6042
Antigua Yacht Club Marina
Tel: +268 460 1544
Weather in Antigua
The best time to visit Antigua on yacht charter is between November and February, when the sun shines, there is virtually no rain, and there is no risk of hurricanes. However, as Antigua is so close to the equator, the weather is pretty near perfect for much of the year, with temperatures ranging between 21C and 30C all year round. Most of the rainfall occurs between July and October, when there is also a risk of hurricanes.
Top Five Things to do in Antigua:
- Enjoy an energetic round of golf at the Cedar Valley golf course. www.cedarvalleygolf.ag
- For the really active, try climbing Boggy Peak for some breathtaking views of the island.
- Anchor off Rendezvous Bay, only accessible by the sea, four-wheel drive or foot.
- Take a trip around Nelson’s Dockyard in English Harbour, the only Georgian dockyard left in the world.
- Go scuba diving one any one of the 200 ship wrecks lying in on sea beds around the island.
Top 5 Restaurants in Antigua:
- Bay House is an intimate restaurant within the Tradewinds Hotel enjoying spectacular views over Dickenson Bay. www.twhantigua.com
- East has been heralded the most gastronomically sophisticated restaurant on Antigua. Tel: +268 484 0000
- The Pavilion’s wine cellar contains more than 8,000 of the world’s finest vintages, with a menu to match. Tel: +268 480 6800
- Cricket fans should try Sticky Wicket next to Standford Cricket Ground, where you can watch a match while you eat. www.thestickywicket.com
- For a truly romantic meal head to Sheer, in the Cocobay Resort. www.cocobayresort.com